Whole Life Insurance for Diabetics
Did you know that approximately 30 million Americans have diabetes? Did you know that there are more than eight million undiagnosed people?
If you are one of those people with diabetes, you’re well aware that the disease has changed your life in many ways. This requires a special diet, more exercise, and in many cases, regular insulin injections.
What About Life Insurance?
People with diabetes – as well as other severe medical conditions – often feel limited in their ability to purchase life insurance.
Fortunately, even though this may cause some challenges when shopping for a policy, there are steps you can take to find and purchase the coverage that is right for you, your family, and your budget.
Here are several things to keep in mind as you get started:
- Make sure you have a solid grasp on the treatment of your disease, as you want to feel good about your health and your ability to live a long, happy, and productive life.
- Only work with brokers, agents, and companies that have a good reputation for providing high quality, comprehensive, and affordable whole life insurance coverage.
- Realize that despite your disease, there are still companies that are willing to provide you with the policy you need to protect your family and give you peace of mind.
Start Your Search Get Quotes Now
The Medical Exam
When shopping for whole life insurance as a person with diabetes, it’s only natural to be concerned about the medical exam. This is when the insurance company will uncover all your health problems.
You have two options:
- Shop for a policy that requires a medical exam
- Opt for a plan that does not require a medical exam
If you want to secure the lowest rate, you need to take a medical exam. Sure, your life insurance company is going to learn more about your diabetes and any other health problems, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will be denied coverage.
Some of the many questions you will answer in regards to your diabetes include:
- Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes?
- What are your A1C levels?
- When were you diagnosed?
- What type of medication do you take?
- Have you experienced any diabetes-related complications, such as kidney failure?
- What are your height and weight?
- Do you have a family history of diabetes?
- Do you have any other health concerns, such as high blood pressure?
The only thing you have to do is accurately answer these questions. From there, the life insurance company will take care of everything else.
How to Save Money
You would rather not have diabetes. Not only is this a severe medical concern, but it can make it more challenging to secure an affordable whole life insurance policy.
However, there are things you can do to save money:
- Eliminate other risk factors, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Prove that you are controlling your diabetes through diet and exercise, as opposed to medication.
- Do your best to maintain a healthy body, such as by keeping your weight and BMI in an acceptable range.
Along with the above, don’t hesitate to contact several whole life insurance companies for a quote. By taking this approach, you’ll soon see which companies are best for people with diabetes.
Tip: while it’s essential to find a competitively priced policy, don’t overlook the reputation and financial standing of the insurer.
If you are interested in finding whole life insurance for diabetics, don’t let anyone tell you this is impossible.
With the right approach and a bit of patience, you can find an affordable and comprehensive policy that will allow you to feel better about the future.